Online now
Online now

Banning unfit members

House Talion​(dom male)
3 years ago • Feb 1, 2021

Banning unfit members

House Talion​(dom male) • Feb 1, 2021
As such is a constant threat to this site, as well as others, I was wonder of certain possibilities to increase the security here. As I had previously stayed in another forum post, it should be as easy as banning the IP address. Member accounts are created with functional email address which are made with electronic devices which all have a specific IP address which is based on the device, manufacturer, product number, and a bunch of other stuff. So if a member is to be banned, in order to stop their reappearance with another account created from a fake email, wouldn't it be possible to trace their IP address and negate the activation of an profile using that IP adress?
DrWakko
DrWakko • Feb 1, 2021
I believe some sites are requiring cell numbers which the site texts out a PIN number so they can register.

But the ip ban and things like that only work if they get ban. It seems the common thing is just block. That works till someone gets a new account.

I do not know how the back end works on sites like this, but once an account is gone they may not feel like looking into the issue. This doesn’t mean that they don’t keep MAC addresses on file.

A MAC address is locked to the computer. It’s in the motherboard and other components. IP addresses change. Somes ip might change 10 times a day.
Dominus eius​(dom male){LittleLott}
Unfortunately this is not as straightforward as it may seem - from a technical point of view:

Blocking from a given IP - unless you have a business grade line (certainly in the UK) then the IP you access from can change. Likewise, moving from home broadband, to 4G - will change the accessing IP. Same again for logging in from a coffee shop.

MAC address - I’m not sure that a website receives sufficient information to record the MAC address of the device accessing - again, switching from laptop to phone to tablet can play around with this.... So, not foolproof.

As you imply, setting up an alternate is easy.

As a recently joined member, I had to confirm my membership with a two factor authentication - namely providing a mobile number to receive a PIN on. Again, those keen can purchase a cheap SIM for an alternative number.

So, while I support the goal - I would give the site admin some sympathy, that it’s hard to truly prevent someone who is banned/blocked from finding a way around if they are determined enough.

I’ll leave it for more technical minds to point out the bits I’ve missed.
    The most loved post in topic
CinderellaOnTheRun​(sub female){protected}
Just to add there's also virtual private networks that hide your IP address, there's softwares like Linux who encrypt it ever further. If one is dedicated even if they were banned they would still be able to find a loophole and create another account. Unfortunately it's not as simple as tracing and blocking an IP address, one Google search and you can find several ways to go behind that. The best we can do as members is to block and report to which I think the technical support here is doing a fairly good job at.
Kelpi
3 years ago • Feb 7, 2021
Kelpi • Feb 7, 2021
The Cage now ask for a cell
number so there are no more bouncing around.
TheAnt​(dom male)
3 years ago • Feb 7, 2021
TheAnt​(dom male) • Feb 7, 2021
I agree on the MAC address as it literally is the unique identifier built into all modems, routers, computers, cell phones and even the smart television. The problem is the MAC address is the starting point of the signal. Essentially the computer uses the MAC address to say “this is me”. And Dr. W. Is right about how this is burned into the chip of the device so it cannot be changed.
But as Cinderella pointed out the IP can be spoofed. Essentially what happens is the computer pulls an IP address from its service provider and then uses that IP to serve as a pointer to the service. The local router has an IP that it uses to communicate with the next device and so and so on until it hits a service that then takes the www address and resolves it to an IP address permanently fixed to that web page.
It is very possible to trace the IP address all the way back to the initial requesting device. That’s how they catch the predators, etc.
Spoofers and Virtual sévices are possible to discern which is why using a VPN is not exactly the safety some may think it is, because even the VPN has to push its information to the Devices connected to it.
Essentially it is still decrypted at the source up until it reaches the VPN which could be a lot of devices.
-DA