Online now
Online now

Question

FloraDragon​(dom male){Roaming Wi}
3 years ago • May 23, 2020
Build a routine in the evening - I read and put some music on a timer on, after a couple of pages I put the book down the close my eyes and think of a story I want to write or a book I want to write, vivid descriptions - I tend to go through he same paragraph over and over again.
ThirtyFourPointFive
ThirtyFourPointFive • May 23, 2020
The older I get the more difficult it is for me to sleep, mostly that is because once my mind starts moving and thinking, I cannot stop it. This is normally a wake up in the middle of the night having to pee thing, then I am up, and I feel like crap the next day.

At one time, I got my doc to write me a prescription for 5 mg of Flexoril (muscle relaxer), then if I had had more than one bad night sleeping, I could take one and always sleep 8 hrs. My doctor would not write a prescription for any kind of pain killer, but he had no problem writing scripts for Flexoril 5mg for sleep and 10mg for the days in the gym that I had forgotten I was no longer 24 yrs old icon_smile.gif The problem with the Flexoril is that it always left me a little hung over. I am 6'0 195 lbs, so if you decide to try this and you are at a lower weight, I would cut a 5mg in half.

I am also a Medical Marijuana Card Holder in Illinois. So now the drug of choice is 10 mg Indica Chocolates. If I take one, I will sleep for 8 hours and there is no hangover. You must make sure you get Indica and not Sativa because a strong Sativa will make your mind race, not slow down. If you go this route, again, watch the dosage or it will be just like taking a Sativa drug. Cut them in half or fourths and work your way up. The problem with the weed is drug tests. I am legal in Illinois, but the drug is not legal in the Federal Governments' eyes, so it is still a drug looked for during drug testing. I am applying and interviewing for jobs in Indiana right now and have been clean for about 4 weeks. I am sleeping about 5 hrs on a good night.

One more thing, you may try Melatonin, I cannot tell you anything about dosage, I have yet to try it. Busting your ass in the gym daily will also bring good results, but a little more difficult than swallowing a pill.

Best of luck to you. G
tallslenderguy​(other male)
i've been doing some reading/study of Alzheimers Disease (AD) as part of my ongoing education as a healthcare worker. Dean and Ayesha Sherzai M.D. are two of the foremost authorities on the topic and they identify altered sleep patterns as an early and ongoing sign/symptom of neurodegeneration. Their book "The Alzheimers Solution" is an excellent evidence based book on prevention and reversal of the symptoms and has a great deal of info in it about sleep.
This is also an informative study:

"5.4.1. Treatmentofsleepdisturbances
Nonpharmacological interventions include improving bed time routines, applying bedtime restrictions, decreasing nightly noises and disturbances, limiting intake of stimulants such as caffeine or tea, and increasing exercise, physical and social activities. The efficacy of some of these interventions have been proven and, as most are easy to implement, and should be tried before moving on to pharmacological treatments (McCurry et al., 1999)."
Add to that don't watch tv or a computer screen prior to trying to sleep. Our pineal gland that effects melatonin release and circadian rhythm is affected by light (evolutionary... the sun) and we really 'confuse' it with computers and tvs at night.
Sorry, this link is ridiculously long but wanted to include the sorce of my citation.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/40165010/Reciprocal_interactions_between_sleep_ci20151118-19075-1yfcv6c.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DReciprocal_interactions_between_sleep_ci.pdf&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=ASIATUSBJ6BAP6OGF3UA%2F20200523%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20200523T150336Z&X-Amz-Expires=3600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEAYaCXVzLWVhc3QtMSJHMEUCID5ICSfDAqvhOJW5Sa5827bj1Hk5TOHBfna2q6G3sV%2BwAiEA49L5LR2DXpuMaomquektJ63Oqs%2BDbfG9xkel%2FOY5XwAqtAMIXxAAGgwyNTAzMTg4MTEyMDAiDOW8RXT2BI%2BFUb7ZECqRA77e2qV6m9nJ5pPy4T72K4xXXs1Sf433BoZAB43l%2FrcNbvK3vCgzUkpaQ9dUqHLZHVSF8%2Bd8PFTDCNIBrBMJv8H8%2BwivfmguxBTOT7RG%2F5hdw84b7EtVWcYq%2BzDmVDIDiCViGlUhxVgDaX%2FWRMMd1ncpnRn3YkINdzuw9Ceevbi0zscK8BEzDlLU9WlUxnhZBYiXmayWZnHCA2c6kA6%2B8cjk5aVjf8t9SoizAJ3slGTt8bcBEmBfhvm%2BO7sTtAw0lHpIjxwXWZt1VX7zdtFcqJLoM8jR9SCGsRNWkgjaFfTj6UCTXQOG1daoKHWAnRvYXxTP2U8XP2NIVthhrowNp%2Fock7Ck9aecWMobW2DKu0Sbk7Fhwi4RfFoXaF3IDa%2FiqHxrsdN6vU9%2BUZweJ31nE20QktjRC1YX2ImkjKlmfdvo08hzD%2BOMhNWXcHTz%2FRC4zqEV6fBMOXZysuGT5wRpEVTICKsnxlTWGKLwl4k5nhZe1w5SS6h561GkOnaS8gaX38l5NtHg6YcKjLPgKwR3l%2BmsMMjIpPYFOusBCOrD4pLvPtZsoepHMnM%2FVrIcGR7TijrOYFc0%2Fm82grV7N80yGJlydTGB2Za0PbsVj5pPibR50A%2B2A%2FyOwCPiIrwNXR8Rrc7vz1wlxRqu4HOMJePebskZIdzCw%2FCyUKJCj5LkKdP7NIMjfmRbZumwrVuuJ3YyvMBnvGXBnxsG8MfFlurlL08pzYwdJxttoy3HbdKGLRcN8zN2yu7rK5HkPdXLLqbFji3fAyvoCmRcpcdMUt1ckSvMczzF1goW8oNs2o9ZpIURm%2FYBxiUYYeQp56oD3B6YnjG8OfGvvxJ4hmkpaMu0g5oRKPpjVA%3D%3D&X-Amz-Signature=b88c22bcc25a93a081df4de4689de5f5b61f05769ad5d3ad3719dabaf93fd54a
Dellydoodah​(neither female)
sorry I was flippant with my brandy response
(I don't recommend alcohol )
sometimes my humour takes over.

Tallslenders research link is great and explains a lot

this link isn't in such depth but might be useful too

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sleep-and-tiredness/10-tips-to-beat-insomnia/
tallslenderguy​(other male)
"sorry I was flippant with my brandy response
(I don't recommend alcohol )
sometimes my humour takes over. "

i thought it was funny. i like your humor, apology rejected icon_wink.gif
    The most loved post in topic
Skaaldi​(sub female)
Skaaldi​(sub female) • May 23, 2020
This is pretty spot on
tallslenderguy wrote:
:

"5.4.1. Treatmentofsleepdisturbances
Nonpharmacological interventions include improving bed time routines, applying bedtime restrictions, decreasing nightly noises and disturbances, limiting intake of stimulants such as caffeine or tea, and increasing exercise, physical and social activities. The efficacy of some of these interventions have been proven and, as most are easy to implement, and should be tried before moving on to pharmacological treatments (McCurry et al., 1999)."
Add to that don't watch tv or a computer screen prior to trying to sleep. Our pineal gland that effects melatonin release and circadian rhythm is affected by light (evolutionary... the sun) and we really 'confuse' it with computers and tvs at night.

I would read up on sleep hygiene. Establish a routine, and follow it. Your bed is for seeping, try to avoid doing things like checking phone, reading watching television, etc when you're in there. Also perhaps some mindfulness meditation could help. There are breathing techniques that may help you as well. I suggest the 4-7-8 technique.

You empty the lungs of air, then
breathe in quietly through the nose for 4 seconds. Hold that breath for 7 seconds, then exhale forcefully through the mouth, pursing the lips and making a “whoosh” sound for 8 seconds. Repeat it for 4 cycles or as long as it helps.

Hope this helps you!

-Skaaldi ❤️
Curious Raven​(other female)
3 years ago • May 24, 2020
Lots of great suggestions here. Just thought I’d mention that sometimes sleep issues are related to anxiety and depression. Given our current circumstances and the significant life changes we’re experiencing, many of us our having mental health issues. Is your sleep disturbance fairly recent? Have you noticed changes in your appetite, ability to concentrate, mood? Do you feel like you have too much energy or racing thoughts? You may want to speak with your doctor or a mental health professional. Self-care is so important right now. For what it’s worth, I’m having some weird COVID dreams!
sunflowerbaby​(sub female)
3 years ago • May 24, 2020
sunflowerbaby​(sub female) • May 24, 2020
Thanks for the concern and no not new its like a type of insomnia I guess. Its come and gone since I was 2 according to my mom I was like a 2yr old college student because I'd go 4 or 5days with 2hrs of sleep and act like everything was fine and be running around like a headless chicken over 3 cheerios spilled