Online now
Online now

Private parts in profiles

The Thinker​(sadist male){NotLooking}
3 years ago • Oct 10, 2020
Bunnie wrote:
Lol, the twists and turns of this discussion. It has been interesting to follow.

@ Thinker,
Although I’m not against the concept of legalising prostitution, and do agree that that could be a contributing factor, there may be other factors to consider as well. What is the education like in the Netherlands around sex? How much is sexual identity influenced by religious beliefs? What does media portray? How does the general public feel about their bodies in a sexual sense? I think there are many contributing factors as to why statistics differ, in any case, in different places.

All valid points. Sex positivity is not exactly an US thing, yet. In fact, even if prostitution is legalized, many people will rather not avail themselves of that if the education and acceptance is not there.
tallslenderguy​(other male)
[quote="The Thinker"]
tallslenderguy wrote:
exploringsubmissive wrote:

The OP made the comment: We all know that men who post pictures of their penis in their profile are many things, none of which are good. "

i responded early in the thread, but not to this comment specifically. i think this is presumptuous, that we don't "all know that men who post pictures of their penis in their profile are many things, none of which are good. " i think that is a leap, just from a pic posted on a profile.

Since I have a very dry sense of humor, my sarcasm doesn't always come across clearly.

Yes, I have heard the above from multiple women.

Yes, I think it's nonsense.

In fact, I think that it is total nonsense coming from women who themselves post pics of private parts in their own profiles.

That was the point of my post.

i can appreciate that about written sarcasm, unaided by stuff like tone, and visuals like facial expression, that can be employed with the spoken word. That may be why god created emojis or lol on the eighth day to help wet down dry humor in the written world?

i submit that not everyone knows the writer and cannot be expected to accurately imbue their written words with their personalized tone; that it's emcumbent on the writer to find ways to convey that, even though it may feel tacky?
Ah, but alas, even in person, my facial expression or tone of voice doesn't change when I am making a joke. If the delivery is not deadpan, then why deliver a joke at all.

Call it a British sense of humor, if you will. "A strong theme of sarcasm and self-deprecation, often with deadpan delivery, runs throughout British humour."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_humour
amalthea​(sub female)
amalthea​(sub female) • Oct 10, 2020
The Thinker wrote:
Sasa, my theory is that if the friends and family had an alternative route to satisfy their sexual needs, then sexual assault committed by them will drop. Just like bank robbery drops when people have more options for gainful employment.

I had to scan through to see where this comment came from. While I do not disagree with all of your comments, this one I find to be too much of an over generalization.

Yes, let's legalize sex...if people want to sex their bodies by all means. I like Sasa's comment and how it is handled in her country.

An increase in open-mindedness and understanding about sexuality as a whole would help reduce assaults...theoretically; but, family and friends committing assault more often than not correlates with sexual abuse. As is reiterated time and time again on this site, abuse and bdsm are NOT the same thing. Assault is abuse and it is a crime.

You make good points and I appreciate your straightforwardness however be mindful of your over generalizations. They make you sound like an idiot.
Amalthea,

I may very well be an idiot as I believe in academic research.

"Legal prostitution zones reduce incidents of rape and sexual abuse

A few years ago, researchers at UCLA and Baylor University made a stunning find: When the Rhode Island legislature inadvertently decriminalized indoor prostitution for a number of years, that state saw a 31 percent decline in reported rapes and a similar decline in cases of gonorrhea.

Now comes a new Dutch study that finds much the same causal relationship between decriminalizing prostitution and reducing crime. Researchers at a public research institute in the Netherlands discovered that when major cities in that country opened tippelzones, or areas where street prostitutes could work legally, reports of rape and sexual abuse declined by as much as 30 to 40 percent in the first two years after the zones were opened. In cities that licensed the prostitutes permitted to work in these tippelzones, rapes and sexual abuse dropped by as much as 40 percent, while the reductions in sexual violence were slightly lower in zones that did not enforce the licensing of sex workers."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/legal-prostitution-zones-reduce-incidents-of-rape-and_b_58c83be1e4b01d0d473bce8a
Here's a quote (and link) to the study that was written about in the Huffington Post. i didn't find anywhere in the study where they demonstrated cause and affect, looks more like correlation (the study uses the word "associated with"). Seems the Post overstepped by elevating that to cause and effect from the actual science.

"Our empirical results for aggregate registered sexual abuse and rape are in line with theoretical predictions. We find that the opening of a tippelzone in a city is associated with a 30% − 40% decrease in sexual abuse and rape in the first two years of opening. These effects do not depend on whether the tippelzone immediately enforced a licensing system or not. Our data do not allow us to distinguish between victims. In terms of policy it is highly relevant to know whether the reduction in sexual violence is attributable to the relocated street prostitutes or to a wider set of victims. We also find some evidence that introducing a licensing system some years after opening, effectively forcing a large share of illegal prostitutes to work outside the tippelzone, leads to a positive increase in citywide sexual abuse."

http://ftp.iza.org/dp9038.pdf
Unfortunately, in social sciences, there is really no way to do a controlled clinical trial like study. You cannot, for example, pick a thousand cities with similar demographics, make brothels illegal in one half anf legal in the other half, and then run a controlled experiment checking for the relative shifts in sexual assault cases.

If, however, you have multiple cities where the sexual assault rates drop in not just a satistically significant way, but in an absolutely significant way (30%+), and you do not have a single instance in a city where legalizing prostitution causes the rate to go up, or even stay flat, a reasonable conclusion for the social scientist would be that corelation in this case is causation.

Also, it makes logical sense. If someone can get sex from a prostitute then their urge to force sex on a date, for example, would likely be less. Men wouldn't have to harrass their female partners, current or prospective, all the time for sex, for example, if they could just go out and get paid sex.
THE THINKER wrote: "If, however, you have multiple cities where the sexual assault rates drop in not just a satistically significant way, but in an absolutely significant way (30%+), and you do not have a single instance in a city where legalizing prostitution causes the rate to go up, or even stay flat, a reasonable conclusion for the social scientist would be that corelation in this case is causation.

Also, it makes logical sense. If someone can get sex from a prostitute then their urge to force sex on a date, for example, would likely be less. Men wouldn't have to harrass their female partners, current or prospective, all the time for sex, for example, if they could just go out and get paid sex."

It is "a reasonable conclusion" for you, but not one that the actual scientists made? i could be wrong, i just scanned the study so please point it out to me if you have seen "causation" in the actual study? i looked more carefully at the "conclusion." i did not see where the scientists came to the same conclusion about "causation."

Ones "sense" of "logical" doesn't equate to science or evidence.
3 years ago • Oct 11, 2020
You will never find the term causation in a social sciences study. Causation is a hard sciences term. It's a red herring to denounce social sciences studies because they can't prove causation.

But what is your position? Are you against prostitution not only being legal, but socially acceptable without any judgment whatsoever?
3 years ago • Oct 11, 2020
The Thinker wrote:
"You will never find the term causation in a social sciences study. Causation is a hard sciences term. It's a red herring to denounce social sciences studies because they can't prove causation.

But what is your position? Are you against prostitution not only being legal, but socially acceptable without any judgment whatsoever?"

No denunciation of social science studies going on here, my issue is with Huffington Post taking license and using "causation" in their story because as you note that it's "a hard science term." One i cannot find in the actual study? If it is in the study, and can be pointed out, i stand corrected. my issue was simply with the Huffington Post taking liberties.

I think the study does demonstrate correlation, i'd like to see more research and replication.

i absolutely think prostitution should be legal and would love to see it, and sexuality in general, as socially acceptable without all the Victorian baggage still attached. i'd also like to see quarterly STD screening made available and socially encouraged and acceptable for all. If we just did that for even just a year, think of the bite we could take out of STD prevalence? It's silly that we have rampant diseases that are curable, simply because people are embarrassed or ashamed to get checked. i hate that sexuality is moralized. Fuck that.

i wanted Bernie. i like the Netherlands lol.