Online now
Online now

Is bdsm healing?

tallslenderguy​(other male)
3 years ago • Oct 10, 2020
shortylotus wrote:
I am a molecular biologist by trade..i believe in science and facts. Medications and therapy are all proven therapeutic approaches..however most the time in science we lose a certain human factor. Sometimes medications and therapy don't work..because when it comes down to it a person will to change has to be greater then there will to stay the same.. tragedy can freeze a person. Time doesn't heal everything but it can however make you less sensitive to the pain making it more manageable for when the time is right to forgive and move forward..

i so appreciate this. i am a nurse in a critical care setting. i love science and science is my go to, but it's not absolute. All the best studies include "further research is needed." i think science is an ongoing pursuit in an infinite (to us anyway) universe. We can know a lot of info between point A and B, enough for intervention with decent outcomes, but there is still infinite space between those two points.

In my experience, in medicine, we often kill ants with elephant guns. I.e, we get the ants, but usually take down more than the ants. Hello 'side effects." There are some wonderfully effective medications out there, and not one is without side effect. AND, those side effects are neither universal or the same in everyone. i can be treating a alcohol withdrawal patient with Ativan, one may become snowed, the other shows no effect at all, another will seemingly have the opposite effect. So, yeah, meds can be great, but they are not a panacea.
The Thinker​(sadist male){NotLooking}
It took my shrink 5 years to find the right med for me. The trials in between were frustrating. One particular drug gave me insane rage. Another gave me lethargy, though curing the ailment. Others simply did nothing.

But since I am trained in STEM, I stuck to it. Field experiments take time. Everyone is different. I was determined to find a chemical solution to my issues.

And then he found the right med for me. I am glad I waited. That was 23 years back.

Yet even this one had side effects, weight gain in particular. Well, I just exercised more.

All along I was being encouraged by well wishers to try a "people-driven, self-driven" solution. I kept politely saying no. I will never change myself or the way I wnt to live my life to solve medical issues. I will pop a pill.
shortylotus​(dom female){Valuedom}
Unfortunately the wrong pill can give you worst side effects and issues then you originally started with. There is no magic pill and no miracle therapy session. Like I stated above a persons will to change needs to be greater then there will to stay the same.. this in COMBINATION with meds AND therapy is a good start for most people. However if the will is not there meds and therapy are nothing more then just bandaids on a wound.

With the exception of certain mental illnesses such a bipolar, schizophrenia, or similar diseases which have been scientifically linked to an chemical unbalance and can not be controlled by individuals themselves.
What is will, though? It is a series of electrical signals through the brain. One day, I hope, we will understand the human brain completely, and will be able to manipulate it just as we can manipulate any machine, and will won't matter; we will be able to generate the exact will we want through external intervention. That doesn't mean that free will will go away. For example, I may decide that I want the same willpower of a serial entreprenuer, who can take failures much better than I can do. Then, hopefully, science will be able to adjust my brain so that I have that will. Won't happen in my lifetime, but it will happen some day.

And with no side effects, and with surgical precision.
shortylotus​(dom female){Valuedom}
Could you imagine how boring life would be....hell screw life...could you imagine how boring our forum posts would be?

On a serious note...some of my greatest changes in life have come from my hardest struggles...

Sometimes.we learn more at Rock bottom then we learn on top of the mountains...
I posit that ALL illnesses and diseases should be addressed ONLY by the means that the INDIVIDUAL chooses to follow, be it medication or personal awareness through hitting rock bottom, or any other means.
LittleBrde​(sub female)
3 years ago • Oct 11, 2020
LittleBrde​(sub female) • Oct 11, 2020
It definitely has been for me. The trust I have to have in my Dom has opened my eyes to so many things about myself, and my wants and needs.
Hypnotist​(dom male)
3 years ago • Oct 11, 2020
Hypnotist​(dom male) • Oct 11, 2020
The Thinker wrote:
That doesn't mean that free will will go away.

It never existed in the first place.