Online now
Online now

Artwork and BDSM

Lustella​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jul 16, 2021

Artwork and BDSM

Lustella​(sub female) • Jul 16, 2021
Totally throwing this out there, but I've been genuinely curious if and how anyone on this site might incorporate BDSM into their artistic crafts?
I know "Shibari" or "Japanese Rope Art" is a pretty classic example, involving a subject who is tied up in any number of creative ways, which I imagine would require a lot of patience, but could also be quite fun.
I myself am someone who draws very frequently and would like to incorporate more themes involving sexuality in my artwork, which would include topics of BDSM.

My Question:
" What is a Creative Outlet that You Use as a way to Express Your Love for BDSM? You can also name someone else who has created something whose work you admire! "

I'll go first!
As mentioned before, I draw quite a lot, but I would love to expand my repertoire of topics to illustrate. As it is, I love drawing chains, gore, teeth, crying faces, and cages to name a few examples of how I prefer to express my BDSM side. Oddly enough, despite the seemingly dark fantasy topics that come up in my work, drawing helps keep me grounded in a way that makes it easier for me to deal with the uncomfortable reality of things that I sometimes have to face.
Among one of my favorite pieces that I've drawn most recently includes a black and white image of a girl, bruised, and bleeding with scars and bitemarks all over her naked body. Her hands are tied behind her back, she's crying, looking up at her "attacker," but instead of a pained expression, her eyes glimmer with lovestruck desire, her jaw hangs open as she slightly bares her teeth in a playful smile, her tongue out like a panting dog in heat.

I hope this sparks some interest, or at least some inspiration ~ !
    The most loved post in topic
SubtleHush​(sub female)
SubtleHush​(sub female) • Jul 16, 2021
"Among one of my favorite pieces that I've drawn most recently includes a black and white image of a girl, bruised, and bleeding with scars and bitemarks all over her naked body. Her hands are tied behind her back, she's crying, looking up at her "attacker," but instead of a pained expression, her eyes glimmer with lovestruck desire, her jaw hangs open as she slightly bares her teeth in a playful smile, her tongue out like a panting dog in heat."

(Your quasi-violent view of BDSM is a bit off-base for me. However, there are many artists who create erotic art and create images of bondage and impact play, etc. I'd suggest you do some reading, not fiction, and learn more about what this life is about so that you can create more relatable pieces.
For you to relay the image you describe and refer to the Top as an attacker is a little troublesome to me. But if that is what appeals to you that is your business.)

(You can go on Amazon and search BDSM and find technical books such as Screw the roses, SM 101 and some might have illustrations to help you see this exchange of activity a little more fully.)

(I know you weren't looking for a critique n what you call art but it is hard for me to ignore people who see this as a violent or abusive endeavor. So by all means ignore this if you want. I just see what you described as akin to art portraying a rock climber, not on the mountain face but crashing and being torn apart by the ragged rocks below. Not really why people rock climb. Nor is what you portray all they were doing.)

(Lastly, if you google BDSM art and select images at the top ribbon, you will see massive examples of what is common in this realm. Just FYI)
Lustella​(sub female)
Lustella​(sub female) • Jul 16, 2021
@SubtleHush

You're right, I literally did not ask for this... seems like you've got a lot on your mind. I was just curious how others expressed their creative sides. I'm also not saying this is the only art I draw either. I shouldn't have to point this out, but your "critique" was more hurtful than anything else, ironically enough. Thanks for getting my hopes up just to feel spat on. Maybe that's why you're into BDSM, but who am I to judge? 😕

Edit: Oh, yeah, do you do anything creative perchance? Or just rate others' interests? 'Cause if you were really here to encourage growth in this community and not ride your high horse around it belittling others, maybe you'd at least be willing to contribute and answer mentioning what you PERSONALLY seem to think is good artwork or writing. You did not even share the name of the writers of the works you did mention. Unless you have something productive to offer, please go away. I don't think anyone would like to receive a response from you.
OG Cupcake{4everAlone}
OG Cupcake{4everAlone} • Jul 16, 2021
Lustella​ - i dabble with paint and pencils from time to time. by NO means am i any good at it icon_smile.gif BUT it is something i do that calms me, among other things. i certainly can NOT draw an actual person but i like to sketch out symbols or chains, toys, just a scene in general. i find my mind quiets a bit and clears my mind to focus on my submission, process my thoughts. (sometimes even color) at times these thoughts can go down a dark path, some in the sun light.

i feel this deeply (i doubt ill be the only one): "Oddly enough, despite the seemingly dark fantasy topics that come up in my work, drawing helps keep me grounded in a way that makes it easier for me to deal with the uncomfortable reality of things that I sometimes have to face."

your view might not be someone else's view. however i think everyone's view is a bit different...or else the world would be boring.
salutexlovely​(sub female){{Owned}}
2 years ago • Aug 5, 2021
This did make me wonder....
I draw and paint. Your original question is how do you incorporate bdsm into art?
I kind of take that literal. Your example was shibari right , to me that is a art form . It can be beautiful and , in my opinion, the most " accepted" art expression of bdsm , but it's barricaded by that . The idea is the art. Submission and dominance are required to make shibari work , unless it's taken as a purely artistic expression.
As to , does this inspire? , it absolutely did!
I think of the secrecy of it alot . The taboo still associated with bdsm , the parts that aren't nessecarily seen as ..." Oh that's kinky" versus " oh that's fucked up"... Does that make sense?

So from this my idea is what is done in the dark. I would like to create a peice or set that I then cover completely in dark paint so that either a hint is only visible , or a specific light must change to see the act /scene/ kink beneath...
Steellover​(sub male)
2 years ago • Aug 20, 2021
Steellover​(sub male) • Aug 20, 2021
I do visual arts as a hobby, but I consciously do not create anything "Edgy" like that, as I want my work to be appreciated by people who would not be offended by anything too, shall we say, "Not family friendly."

With that said, a long time ago, I did do one piece that was inspired by the Swiss artist H.R. Giger, that featured a cyborg with a mechanical penis that was linked up to some machine, and the mechanical cock looking to "plug" itself into the machine. Well, a casual friend was visiting with her 12 year old daughter and 13 year old son, and she saw that hanging on the wall and became visibly upset, though oddly she didn't confront me about it- just urged her kids to hurry up and finish their billiards game without explaining what was bothering her. I learned from that to be real careful about what kind of art I create, or allow to be displayed in public or around the house where the "Wrong" someone may be offended by it. (Though that same piece DID hang in an adult-friendly art gallery for a few months; I dug it out for that particular show where it would be appreciated by a purely 18+ crowd.)
MrFulmen
MrFulmen • Aug 20, 2021
I have an abstract painting I treasure that came out of a house party years ago.

There was a group scene that was the focus of the night and that involved drawing blood. That resulted in having syringes full of human blood around, and one of the more creative friends there took sheets of paper and started making blood-spray artwork by squirting from the syringes.

I hung onto one that I particularly liked the composition of. Got her to sign it before I framed it. icon_smile.gif
A Cloud​(sub female){Owned}
I am a practicing artist who has been involved in the visual art scene for 15 years or so. My practice is expansive, however, and encompasses many forms and mediums - painting, photography, installation, writing and furniture mainly.

For me art is life and it blends very well with BDSM. Actually, I think BDSM is art. It has so much creative potential. There are many parallels between my visual art practice and the way I explore BDSM. But these are subtle.

Subtlety is one of my greatest loves; it makes me think and keeps me interested. It can be subversive, secretive, mysterious, delicate and complex (usually beneath the surface). So fitting for D/s don't you think? Rather than make art about it, I apply creative thinking, layers of meaning and composition to the way I explore and express acts of BDSM.

Photography, of course, is an excellent tool; literature and sound are also great ways to explore and express. This art is personal, a representation of my journey and my relationships with others; I don't need to send a message or get recognition from wider society, it is for me and whoever I wish to share it with.