Online now
Online now

Screenshots publishing

Atila​(sub female)
1 year ago • Feb 13, 2023

Screenshots publishing

Atila​(sub female) • Feb 13, 2023
I’ve been playing around with the idea of doing a blog of all the nasty messages I’ve gotten in kinky sites. I’m sure we are all familiar with one or two. You know the type: fraudulent, rude, too unreal to be true, or just plain nasty as a first message (asking you to be their cum slut from the get-go and things like that).

Every time I get a new one, the desire to do a blog rekindles. I don’t know if I’ll get down to it or not. I brought the subject in a Discord server and someone lost her mine about how it’s sharing a private conversation non-consensually. I said I wouldn’t share any identifiable information and that I hadn’t asked for those harassing messages either. Agreed to disagree at the end.

It got me thinking, though. Have any of you done a public post of those messages? Do you think it’s morally wrong? Do people have a right to post such messages as long as they don’t add private or identifiable information? Can you even ask an internet troll for consent?
Villanelle​(staff)
Villanelle​(staff) • Feb 13, 2023
We wouldn't allow it here.
    The most loved post in topic
jkillaaa​(sub female)
jkillaaa​(sub female) • Feb 13, 2023
Assuming you block anything identifying like you said you would do, I don’t see anything wrong with it, personally.
Atila​(sub female)
Villanelle wrote:

Besides it being the rules of the community, what’s the reasoning behind it? Is it moral or is it legal?
SirsBabyDoll​(sub female){Pizza+☕}
Atila wrote:
Villanelle wrote:

Besides it being the rules of the community, what’s the reasoning behind it? Is it moral or is it legal?

I believe it's public shaming. A person may *THINK* there is no identifiable information, but to someone else, it very well may be.

Also, we are adults here, not supposed to act like high school bullies. Talk about the situation, fine, but leave the person out of it.
Atila​(sub female)
jkillaaa wrote:
Assuming you block anything identifying like you said you would do, I don’t see anything wrong with it, personally.

I actually looked into the legality of it, because I wasn’t expecting such a visceral reaction to it. I was just fooling around, it’s something I’ve said on and off for a year now and I haven’t done it. Anyway, legally speaking, as long as there is no identifiable information, you are basically fine. The courts so far haven’t deemed direct messages between friends (in this case app or site strangers) as private, unless there was a previous agreement.

This really boils down to morality, then. Do you have the moral right to share the messages you are sent or not?
Atila​(sub female)
SirsBabyDoll wrote:
Atila wrote:
Villanelle wrote:

I believe it's public shaming. A person may *THINK* there is no identifiable information, but to someone else, it very well may be.

Also, we are adults here, not supposed to act like high school bullies. Talk about the situation, fine, but leave the person out of it.

How do you leave the person out of it, exactly? Even talking about it can lead to people identification from the description of the events, like it has happened in AITA in Reddit. I’m not sure why it’ll be bullying to share troll messages you’ve gotten, unless you share enough identifiable information that can cause a manhunt. A message saying you’d be the perfect receptacle for their cum is hardly identifiable, though.
TranquilStorm
TranquilStorm • Feb 13, 2023
Sounds like a digital pillory. Also got a nice margin for abuse (e.g. by leaving out context) and pretty sure it won't bring out the best in people in general.
Atila​(sub female)
TranquilStorm wrote:
Sounds like a digital pillory. Also got a nice margin for abuse (e.g. by leaving out context) and pretty sure it won't bring out the best in people in general.

It can turn into that, depending on what you share. I wonder if it’s also a cultural thing or when a generational thing. I don’t believe in sharing private information, images or videos that can identify someone. However, it is something we do everyday. I don’t think is a black and white thing, though. My intention is just to share the most nasty first messages I’ve gotten. You don’t need a lot of context for that, besides someone seeing my profile and deciding they can write to me without any human decency.
Miki
Miki • Feb 13, 2023
The best thing to do with troll messages is to delete them IMHO