Online now
Online now

Self-Care!

EpicParker​(sub female)
9 months ago • Jul 4, 2023

Self-Care!

EpicParker​(sub female) • Jul 4, 2023
Is self care important to you? Do you practice it in your dynamic? What are some ways you practice it? I do weekly self care. It involves a number of things like shopping, making myself my favorite meal, taking a nice long shower, giving myself sexual pleasure, taking extra naps, going for a beach walk alone, etc.

Reposting since it was hijacked and locked. I would love to see what others do for self-care! Everyone’s self-care is different! I believe everyone should practice a form of self-care.
Miki
Miki • Jul 4, 2023
Though not in a dynamic or relationship, It is important to me to take a break from my routine and do something invigorating-- or relaxing. Something as simple as taking a walk somewhere I don't frequent often.. The stuff you wrote.

It should be important to everyone on some level (IMHO) as a part of an overall healthy life. Centering oneself every now and again can bring many benefits to the mind, and what the mind does, the body will follow.

Hope that made sense. But that's my response.

EDITED: Forgot.. you wanted some examples. I go for walks, usually to places I have not been to or not recently. I set aside an hour for an herbal bath/soak (usually but not exclusively a part of my heritage) Or, strange as it may seem, I am definitely NOT a "gamer" but I'll play some silly retro video game to simultaneously challenge what's in my mostly empty head and relax it. Lastly, I'll actually take a break from sexual self-pleasure as a function of breaking the routine.
aPeepingMom​(sub female)
aPeepingMom​(sub female) • Jul 4, 2023
My original response: I get a monthly mani/pedi and the occasional massage. It makes me feel good. And when I feel good about myself, it’s a lot easier to make the people around me happy.

(Yesterday), I treated myself to a two-hour massage with hot stones and CBD oil, followed by a clarifying facial. Then some ice cream. I was all about the self care (yesterday)! 😉

My updated response:
In addition to mani/pedis, I also enjoy naps and binging on Netflix. I used to read a lot, but I haven’t read a book in almost a year! Maybe I should do more of that.

As far as self-care within my dynamic, Daddy and I have talked about creating a reward system to help me get back in the gym. I really want to start exercising again, but i have trouble motivating myself to do it. I’m hoping that having Him involved will help. There are also times when He will order me to do something like take a hot bath, take a nap, or meditate - at times when I’m feeling anxious or starting to spiral about something. I really appreciate those moments.
    The most loved post in topic
B L O N D I E​(sub female)
[quote="Miki"]Though not in a dynamic or relationship, It is important to me to take a break from my routine and do something invigorating-- or relaxing. Something as simple as taking a walk somewhere I don't frequent often.. The stuff you wrote.

It should be important to everyone on some level (IMHO) as a part of an overall healthy life. Centering oneself every now and again can bring many benefits to the mind, and what the mind does, the body will follow.

For me personally, the highest form of self-care is sticking to my routine and staying on top of my work schedule. I get really stressed out if I fall behind, so staying on top of things and completing each day's target assignments is the best thing I can do for myself. Same with my exercise routine. Taking time off, relaxing on the couch, watching YouTube videos, and generally slacking off only leads me to get more stressed and disappointed with myself.

I've recently come to the conclusion that free time is bad for me. Staying active and on top of my schedule gives me confidence, advances my career, and improves my finances so I don't have to worry about everything else. But that's just me. Obviously I'm the outlier in this conversation, but that's what self-care means to me.
Miki
Miki • Jul 4, 2023
[quote="B L O N D I E"]
Miki wrote:
Though not in a dynamic or relationship, It is important to me to take a break from my routine and do something invigorating-- or relaxing. Something as simple as taking a walk somewhere I don't frequent often.. The stuff you wrote.

For me personally, the highest form of self-care is sticking to my routine and staying on top of my work schedule. I get really stressed out if I fall behind, so staying on top of things and completing each day's target assignments is the best thing I can do for myself. Same with my exercise routine. Taking time off, relaxing on the couch, watching YouTube videos, and generally slacking off only leads me to get more stressed and disappointed with myself.

I've recently come to the conclusion that free time is bad for me. Staying active and on top of my schedule gives me confidence, advances my career, and improves my finances so I don't have to worry about everything else. But that's just me. Obviously I'm the outlier in this conversation, but that's what self-care means to me.

Whatever works.. works. I, too, put in a lot of hours at my job. I even fell just short of a 90 hour week last month... And I am not salaried so that was 48.xx hours at time + half. Grooovy Gravy!

[EDIT: Nothing frosts my ass more than employers who decide it's a great idea to have "mandatory fun". Fortunately mine does not]

So when I do get a day off I like to depart from the routine and do something truly adventurous... Stay in my PJs all day and read a few chapters from a current book.

But as you said, if taking a "break" and having too much time on your hands is stressful, well then that's not the answer.

Self-care involves finding something that refreshes one from the routine, or adds spice to that routine.. It just boils down to whatever contributes to a centered mind.

I'm the true outlier in that I do not do relationships, and am not given to any D/s crap. I'm not a Sub, just a maso-girl so I do "qualify" to be in here as being a masochist is twisted shit to many. But other than that I'm glad I do not have any hairy-knuckle doms hovering over me issuing orders (usually accompanied by bad breath) -- because aside from being a Maso-girl, I'm an unrepentant, un-tamable brat and I'd tell Hypothetical Dom to go fuck a duck.
NPeg​(sub female)
9 months ago • Jul 5, 2023
NPeg​(sub female) • Jul 5, 2023
Although I'm not in a dynamic/relationship at present, self-care is still important. I don't do as much as I really need but I try to factor it in regularly. I'm always advocating self-care to my clients too.
My self-care is trying to get a massage or CST treatment every month if I can, getting out for a walk/hike or just a day by the beach to decompress from life. My bath every night is my daily decompress time and I try and meditate before bed and before I get up in the morning, it also includes me trying to eat healthy and increase my fluid intake. Not saying I always get it right but these are things I try and do.
My opinion is that most people see self-care as pamper sessions and bubble baths but also forget that it is the not-so-pretty things like looking at your finances, housework, making sure you are eating properly and drinking fluids and looking after yourself and your life too, taking your meds, and little things like that along with the lovely stuff.
dotsy​(sub female)
9 months ago • Jul 5, 2023

Re: Self-Care!

dotsy​(sub female) • Jul 5, 2023
EpicParker wrote:
Is self care important to you? Do you practice it in your dynamic? What are some ways you practice it?

I would say that normally, self care isn't rated high on my priority list aside from basic hygiene (don't wanna kill anyone) and diet (diabetes). I definitely did in my last dynamic. I was so hurt when it ended, I chucked all my good habits for five months but I'm starting to get my shit together now. The ways I've practiced self care is exercising, taking naps (my meds make me tired), journaling, listening to an audiobook, and trying to find something to make me cry. I know, that sounds really odd but... I don't cry like I should, giving my body time to build up toxins I can't get rid of. I could use maintenance spankings for sure.
NatGoddess
9 months ago • Jul 9, 2023
NatGoddess • Jul 9, 2023
I'm an absolute self-care advocant. Some of my favorite forms of it include meditation, journaling, practicing stilness and gratefulness. I also love going on walks and keeping a healthy diet.

In terms of relationship dynamics, my subs must go to the GP at least once a year and have their medical check ups. I'm not sure about your experience, but it baffles me how reluctant men can be to do routine exams in comparison to women.
LordofPain56
9 months ago • Jul 13, 2023
LordofPain56 • Jul 13, 2023
I'm not sure I'd call it self-care, but as I recall, my "covenant" called for routine good physical and mental health practices such as: eating healthy, balanced meals, morning exercise, walks in the park, prohibition of illicit substances and alcohol abuse, weekly sabbath rest as a minimum, all of which I would participate in. She could add other things (that I may or maybe not participate in depending on how she wanted it).
Gee, now that I think of it, maybe that was why that profile never generated any interest. Oh, well, sounded good to me at the time.
House Talion​(dom male)
9 months ago • Jul 13, 2023
House Talion​(dom male) • Jul 13, 2023
I'm presently in a sexless relationship with a woman I love. I still have needs, but it needs to be at a pace she's comfortable with. So I take care of my needs before I take care of her needs so that I'm able to take better care of us.