Online now
Online now

meaningless tasks

intenseoldman​(dom male)
1 month ago • Jul 31, 2024
intenseoldman​(dom male) • Jul 31, 2024
blue haze wrote:

It was an exercise that took only a small amount of time out of my day but had a huge impact...

A task where the meaning is found in the result. As a teacher I assigned tasks everyday, but they all had an objective. Even bell work and busy work had an objective. I love the idea of a quick and dirty task that turns out to be impactful. Thanks for contributing icon_smile.gif
lambsone
1 month ago • Aug 1, 2024
lambsone • Aug 1, 2024
The Dominant having the say so of whether a task is meaningless or not sounds more like an old guard way of doing things, Topeka. Which if that is the type of relationship the couple has, then that would be okay.

For me, I have my own reactions and thoughts. Whatever my Dom thinks is separate from mine even if we might agree. I am done with following blindly, not using my own brain, and becoming a clone of someone else. (No you didn't indicate these things, they are my own concerns towards the type of tasking that doesn't allow for input from the one being tasked.)

If I thought the task was meaningless, then as I mentioned, I would assign my own meaning to it so it had a purpose in doing it. I've done this quite a lot in work situations and it's worked out well for me in the past. It also kept my attitude from getting out of control towards rebellion or push back.
SirsBabyDoll​(sub female){Pizza+☕}
intenseoldman wrote:

Interesting, everyone who doesn't know their times tables these days.

Point of fact here, some learning disabilities make it impossible to memories the times tables. I myself have such a disability since numerals are not something that is easy for me to remember. While I can understand the concept of times tables, I can't remember the numbers long enough to do the calculations.

As for the importance of "meaningless tasks", my Dom used to have me undress him, fold his clothing and lay them down properly. For the longest time, I felt it interfered with the momentum of our sessions and was a distraction. As time went on, I discovered that it 1) became part of the ritual of getting into the submissive mindset after time spent apart, and 2) it became a way for ME to take care of my Dom by taking care of his possessions.

It was a little thing but it became so important to me that while we were apart, it helped ME take care of myself and my things, which was his greatest "possession".

Anything can be turned into a starting point for personal growth.
TopekaDom​(dom male)
TopekaDom​(dom male) • Aug 1, 2024
lambsone wrote:
The Dominant having the say so of whether a task is meaningless or not sounds more like an old guard way of doing things, Topeka.

You say that like it is a bad thing.

The Dom/me of a given relationship has a duty to guide the relationship. That is literally what we are here for.
lambsone
lambsone • Aug 1, 2024
No Topeka, I recognize that relationships are individual things and each one is not bad or good in and of themselves. If a relationship style works for the couple, then they have found the key to loving each other within that context.

I am not saying Old Guard practices are wrong. I merely am citing that it wouldn't be good for me if the Dom made my decisions for me. In this case deciding whether a task is meaningful or meaningless.

It may seem a small thing but, I have lived most of my life being told what to do, how I should think, and then expected to comply. It stunted me as a person.

I've spent a lifetime trying to prove to my family that I'm not a brainless twit. I was even told by my mother in my mid-forties when I began to think for myself that "my behavior had gotten out of hand lately, and if I wasn't careful I was going to see what happened". At the time I had been living under my own roof for 10 years. I changed the locks on my doors.

So this is why it's important for me to be free to give input. I need to discover who I am so that I can be a better submissive. I am submissive, but I express it in a different way than some bdsm lifestyles play out. That's all.
intenseoldman​(dom male)
intenseoldman​(dom male) • Aug 1, 2024
SirsBabyDoll wrote:
intenseoldman wrote:

Interesting, everyone who doesn't know their times tables these days.

Point of fact here, some learning disabilities make it impossible to memories the times tables. I myself have such a disability since numerals are not something that is easy for me to remember. While I can understand the concept of times tables, I can't remember the numbers long enough to do the calculations.

I apologize for any offense to you or anyone else here who doesn't know their times tables. I taught math one year, and somehow made more importance out of a rote memory exercise than was necessary because I had to know them when I was young. Today memorizing times tables is not necessary; we have calculators.[/quote]

SirsBabyDoll wrote:
As for the importance of "meaningless tasks", my Dom used to have me undress him, fold his clothing and lay them down properly. For the longest time, I felt it interfered with the momentum of our sessions and was a distraction. As time went on, I discovered that it 1) became part of the ritual of getting into the submissive mindset after time spent apart, and 2) it became a way for ME to take care of my Dom by taking care of his possessions.

It was a little thing but it became so important to me that while we were apart, it helped ME take care of myself and my things, which was his greatest "possession".

Anything can be turned into a starting point for personal growth.

Thank you for sharing your task experience. I like that you shared your feelings about the process and how they changed when you realized the purpose and valued the result.
justjules​(sub female)
1 month ago • Aug 2, 2024
justjules​(sub female) • Aug 2, 2024
I had a Dom that I was just getting serious with…who was not my Dom yet…tell me he was going to give me a task.

Umm no.

Well he asked me to take pictures starting with every letter of the alphabet from A to Z. I love photography and he knew that by assigning me that task that he would be able to figure out a bit better how my mind worked.

Best task ever. For me. And for him to figure out what night about and how and underlying themes that came about (like dark vs colorful images).

Not quite your question…but he went into the task knowing how it would help us both I had fun and had images that I added to my portfolio and he got to learn more about me and what how to communicate with me.

Best early task ever for him and me both
Master W​(dom male){Busy}
1 month ago • Aug 2, 2024
Master W​(dom male){Busy} • Aug 2, 2024
Anything can have meaning. It depends on the person assigning and the person fulfilling. If you're reasoning for having her count all the coins in a jar is to keep her busy then yes it's nothing more than that. If it's to work on or practice something specific then there's meaning lol. You can give a task that doesn't even cross your mind as having depth but to them they discover something in it. It's purely an internal situation.