Online now
Online now

Mental health & BDSM

event horizon{NotLooking}
2 years ago • Dec 14, 2021
event horizon{NotLooking} • Dec 14, 2021
SubtleHush wrote:
I call it ethical illness.

Informed Consent: This is a great example of what informed consent really means.

If you appreciate the risk factors of how we engage in this realm. And if you wish to enter into an informed and ethical relationship- be that play or more - then you can only build that foundation with honesty.

When you don't tell that other person you have denied them the right to informed consent.

Be specific: When we say "mental health issues" it is this vague, nebulous thing that some people have. But health issues of any type are not static. You don't get an issue and stay put with it. Many more health issues are both fluid and engaging. Which means they can change without warning and engage other aspects of functioning.

Also, not everyone with a given health issue exhibits or reacts to it the same. Some require medications that impact them systemically.

Tell the truth: I've always been honest with my health history (physical and emotional) and that sometimes meant I was declined and that can be hurtful, to say the least. But those who knew my story and chose to be in a relationship with me (which was the majority) were 'really' there for me.

I'm sure many more people take the risk of not saying anything than do. So it really is a question of what type of experience in play or relationship you want to have. I had a debate with someone back years ago when they discovered that I told potential partners that I was a cancer survivor (and the occasional depression that fighting that fight can cause). The disease was chronic and there was no way to know if it would return.

This person said to wait until the new guy cared for me and then tell them. And then they walk away when I care for them too? Or something happens during a scene and after the paramedics show up they find out I was not honest with them?

When anyone I was meeting told me about health issues they had I only asked two questions. "Are you dealing with it with a doctor or medical team?" and "Will you continue to be honest with me about how that is going?"

You can't depend on the whole trust concept of what it is that we do (mentioned in most profiles) and not trust your partner with your challenges or act in ways that will prevent someone from trusting you. Makes no logical sense.

I suspect that sometimes people who don't tell are not dealing with their challenges. Or not seeing the doctor or taking meds they need to take. That raises the bar and is in my book deceptive and dangerous. Since we can't police everyone's motivations, it all boils down, again, to compatibility. I need someone who is as ethical with such things as I am whether they have physical or mental concerns. Or both.

H*

Wow, you have quite a lot to say about this lol.

I can't reply to all of it, but I will say.. I agree that it should be shared, but I guess the question now is when do you share it? You mentioned something about waiting til you're attached and then sharing it, and having a person you care for walk away, and I get that, but.. certainly it can't be the first thing you say? Timing is important, I think.
SubtleHush​(sub female)
SubtleHush​(sub female) • Dec 14, 2021
Oceanic​(dom female)
"I can't reply to all of it, but I will say.. I agree that it should be shared, but I guess the question now is when do you share it? You mentioned something about waiting til you're attached and then sharing it, and having a person you care for walk away, and I get that, but.. certainly it can't be the first thing you say? Timing is important, I think."

I have a lot to say because I've been there and there are many struggling in the lifestyle.

"When" is a big question mark for sure. Someone I know said wait until they care for you. I don't agree. I usually bring it up if we are talking about meeting and I think this is a person I might really like. If they step off I prefer that to be before we both get too tangled.

For me, there is that point in talking when we touch on the big issues in our lives. Life, loss, health, you have how many kids??? etc. Everyone has to find their way of handling hard discussions. Too much at hello can bite you and not saying anything at all can bite you.

And this is not biting in a good way.
Zvengali
Zvengali • Dec 14, 2021
Oceanic wrote:
Zvengali wrote:
Yeah I get it now.....The surprise is the best part....oy The neighbors said he was just a nice quiet guy.....Id rather know now, than later ?

I'm not sure I like the implications of that comment. Mental illness does not mean a person is going to behave in some big traumatic way.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.....Whether you like it or not, matters not to me. Yet you failed to see the point.....the point is no matter what level of Mental Health someone is in. You have NO IDEA...what level that is....OY.... Personally I want to know that level. Are you under a Doctors care, are you taking medicine I need to know about, is what we are about to do in (terms of play) going to affect anything....I WANT TO KNOW....and I ask at the outcome of any new individual I am interested in. Asking means never having to say your sorry.....
Zvengali wrote:
Oceanic wrote:
Zvengali wrote:
Yeah I get it now.....The surprise is the best part....oy The neighbors said he was just a nice quiet guy.....Id rather know now, than later ?

I'm not sure I like the implications of that comment. Mental illness does not mean a person is going to behave in some big traumatic way.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

.....Whether you like it or not, matters not to me. Yet you failed to see the point.....the point is no matter what level of Mental Health someone is in. You have NO IDEA...what level that is....OY.... Personally I want to know that level. Are you under a Doctors care, are you taking medicine I need to know about, is what we are about to do in (terms of play) going to affect anything....I WANT TO KNOW....and I ask at the outcome of any new individual I am interested in. Asking means never having to say your sorry.....

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but you do have a super aggressive and pretty rude way of making it. Could stand to dial that back a bit. Not sure why you're speaking the way you are about this.
tallslenderguy​(other male)
SubtleHush wrote:

Informed Consent: This is a great example of what informed consent really means.

If you appreciate the risk factors of how we engage in this realm. And if you wish to enter into an informed and ethical relationship- be that play or more - then you can only build that foundation with honesty.

When you don't tell that other person you have denied them the right to informed consent.

Be specific: When we say "mental health issues" it is this vague, nebulous thing that some people have. But health issues of any type are not static. You don't get an issue and stay put with it. Many more health issues are both fluid and engaging. Which means they can change without warning and engage other aspects of functioning.

Also, not everyone with a given health issue exhibits or reacts to it the same. Some require medications that impact them systemically.

Tell the truth: I've always been honest with my health history (physical and emotional) and that sometimes meant I was declined and that can be hurtful, to say the least. But those who knew my story and chose to be in a relationship with me (which was the majority) were 'really' there for me.

I'm sure many more people take the risk of not saying anything than do. So it really is a question of what type of experience in play or relationship you want to have. I had a debate with someone back years ago when they discovered that I told potential partners that I was a cancer survivor (and the occasional depression that fighting that fight can cause). The disease was chronic and there was no way to know if it would return.

This person said to wait until the new guy cared for me and then tell them. And then they walk away when I care for them too? Or something happens during a scene and after the paramedics show up they find out I was not honest with them?

When anyone I was meeting told me about health issues they had I only asked two questions. "Are you dealing with it with a doctor or medical team?" and "Will you continue to be honest with me about how that is going?"

You can't depend on the whole trust concept of what it is that we do (mentioned in most profiles) and not trust your partner with your challenges or act in ways that will prevent someone from trusting you. Makes no logical sense.

I suspect that sometimes people who don't tell are not dealing with their challenges. Or not seeing the doctor or taking meds they need to take. That raises the bar and is in my book deceptive and dangerous. Since we can't police everyone's motivations, it all boils down, again, to compatibility. I need someone who is as ethical with such things as I am whether they have physical or mental concerns. Or both.

H*

Wow, i find this is a thoroughly well thought out response. Reading it took my thoughts a couple of places.

"If you appreciate the risk factors of how we engage in this realm. And if you wish to enter into an informed and ethical relationship- be that play or more - then you can only build that foundation with honesty."

Love this.
i think this applies universally to intimate relationship. For me the goal of intimate relationship is to connect and bond. I think that requires we first have understanding and awareness of how intimacy works, what i see as principles of intimacy. Then dedication mutual dedication to those principles. Intimate relationship involves vulnerability with the potential mutual reward of knowing, being known, accepted, loved. That cannot happen if we are holding some part of our self in reserve or hiding. "Honesty" is openness, openness is vulnerable.
i think it is fear of rejection that motivates one to hide, not be open, but the result of hiding is the very thing the hider seeks to avoid: the hidden part not being accepted because it remains unknown.
tallslenderguy wrote:
SubtleHush wrote:

H*

Wow, i find this is a thoroughly well thought out response. Reading it took my thoughts a couple of places.

"If you appreciate the risk factors of how we engage in this realm. And if you wish to enter into an informed and ethical relationship- be that play or more - then you can only build that foundation with honesty."

Love this.
i think this applies universally to intimate relationship. For me the goal of intimate relationship is to connect and bond. I think that requires we first have understanding and awareness of how intimacy works, what i see as principles of intimacy. Then dedication mutual dedication to those principles. Intimate relationship involves vulnerability with the potential mutual reward of knowing, being known, accepted, loved. That cannot happen if we are holding some part of our self in reserve or hiding. "Honesty" is openness, openness is vulnerable.
i think it is fear of rejection that motivates one to hide, not be open, but the result of hiding is the very thing the hider seeks to avoid: the hidden part not being accepted because it remains unknown.

You've got a pretty good point there. I haven't always told people about my own stuff because, like you said, I worry about the judgment. But I guess if you don't reveal it, it can't be accepted.
Zvengali
Zvengali • Dec 14, 2021
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but you do have a super aggressive and pretty rude way of making it. Could stand to dial that back a bit. Not sure why you're speaking the way you are about this.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What people think about me.......Is none of my business. My self -worth isnt defined by an approval rating...I trust who I am, but, your faultering...I can see it in your words.
SubtleHush​(sub female)
SubtleHush​(sub female) • Dec 14, 2021
We should acknowledge that such self-disclosure is a very difficult thing to do.

To let yourself be that vulnerable so soon and in the face of maybe finally meeting someone with potential takes a lot. It also often feels contrary to let another have that power compared to the strength you've had to develop to deal with those life challenges in the first place.

But at the moment, hearing "I don't want you" can be crushing. Especially when it relates to a condition you did nothing to cause.

It is understandable that many struggles with such honesty. No one can fault them for that struggle.

And the rejection cuts deep no matter who the other person is. The one man who didn't want to go forward with me as a cancer survivor wasn't any great loss. We had one date after talking a lot. Then silence. Then he messaged me online acting interested and then dropped off again. Finally, I pointed out that he was giving mixed messages and he said: (paraphrasing)

He: "You know I was engaged to that woman and her son got cancer? I had to end it. Then I had that friend who died from cancer and now I meet you."

Me: "And?"

He: Well, I am starting to see a conspiracy here."

I can't imagine anyone not recognizing how arrogant and obnoxious these remarks were. Especially the woman he claimed he was going to marry and her son.

Still, it hurt so much.

Even as I told him to take a hike because IF I got sick again (I did by the way) I would want to focus on getting well and not babysitting him until he bailed on me as he had others.

They're out there and they hurt us from time to time, but in the end, telling the truth is as much for us as much as it is for them.
SubtleHush wrote:
We should acknowledge that such self-disclosure is a very difficult thing to do.

To let yourself be that vulnerable so soon and in the face of maybe finally meeting someone with potential takes a lot. It also often feels contrary to let another have that power compared to the strength you've had to develop to deal with those life challenges in the first place.

But at the moment, hearing "I don't want you" can be crushing. Especially when it relates to a condition you did nothing to cause.

It is understandable that many struggles with such honesty. No one can fault them for that struggle.

And the rejection cuts deep no matter who the other person is. The one man who didn't want to go forward with me as a cancer survivor wasn't any great loss. We had one date after talking a lot. Then silence. Then he messaged me online acting interested and then dropped off again. Finally, I pointed out that he was giving mixed messages and he said: (paraphrasing)

He: "You know I was engaged to that woman and her son got cancer? I had to end it. Then I had that friend who died from cancer and now I meet you."

Me: "And?"

He: Well, I am starting to see a conspiracy here."

I can't imagine anyone not recognizing how arrogant and obnoxious these remarks were. Especially the woman he claimed he was going to marry and her son.

Still, it hurt so much.

Even as I told him to take a hike because IF I got sick again (I did by the way) I would want to focus on getting well and not babysitting him until he bailed on me as he had others.

They're out there and they hurt us from time to time, but in the end, telling the truth is as much for us as much as it is for them.

I appreciate you saying all this. The folks aggressively stating you should disclose immediately no matter what, I don't think they're considering the potential impact of that. You're right, it's hard to find compatible people, and even harder to face rejection from those people for something you had no hand in creating. Ideally anyone with mental health struggles would be in therapy and/or on meds to help mediate issues, but even with that stuff things can still go awry. And it hurts a lot to watch something fall apart because of it.
Zvengali
Zvengali • Dec 14, 2021
I appreciate you saying all this. The folks aggressively stating you should disclose immediately no matter what, I don't think they're considering the potential impact of that. You're right, it's hard to find compatible people, and even harder to face rejection from those people for something you had no hand in creating. Ideally anyone with mental health struggles would be in therapy and/or on meds to help mediate issues, but even with that stuff things can still go awry. And it hurts a lot to watch something fall apart because of it.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well buttercup......Considering that I might hurt their feelings ? Im guessing your of the mindset that EVERYONE should get a trophy in baseball, even if they suck at it. Problem is, rejection breeds charactor. You contradicted yourself in one paragraph... Oh please tell me what your issues are and all will be good. Your feelings wont be hurt....Oh and by the way...if it turns out those particular maladies you have affect our relationship...we just might not work out....it just may be we fall apart. Im so pleased we wasted all this valuable time for the outcome to be the same....oy.... New age subs/slaves/Doms/Dommes.....The Butthurt Generation.