Online now
Online now

The BDSM Test: Is it Useful To You?

Villanelle​(staff)
5 years ago • Jul 18, 2018

The BDSM Test: Is it Useful To You?

Villanelle​(staff) • Jul 18, 2018
How do you feel about the BDSM tests that you see quoted in profiles? Are they helpful to you when getting to know someone? Or perhaps they are more useful when getting to know yourself? Have you done one? Where you surprised by the results? And are you interested in reading the results of others?
Fudbar​(dom male){❤️❤️❤️}
5 years ago • Jul 18, 2018
It's a 40 question test that doesn't even touch on the full spectrum of kink. New folks lean on it because they want to figure out where they fit in the grand scheme of things. Same goes for those "What type of Dom/sub are you?" quizzes. I think it's more entertainment than enlightenment.

I don't find it to be super useful now, but taking the test several times, answering in different moods and seeing the changes in results is interesting.

As for the results of others, it's a bit more useful there, but only in broad strokes. Folks with 100% on many results (usually over eager new Doms) are clearly taking the test multiple times and thinking that 100% is a high score or something. The fact that they're so concerned about how others see them and willing to game a virtually meaningless test says a lot.

I find it also useful to look at any areas below about 10% too.. this obviously indicates either extreme disinterest in a particular kink or a hard limit. It makes a good starting point for conversation with a potential partner about those areas, but it's a conversation starter, not hard evidence.
    The most loved post in topic
Mre​(sub male){Owned}
5 years ago • Jul 19, 2018

Bit of fun.

Mre​(sub male){Owned} • Jul 19, 2018
I think its a good thing to try out but don't take it so literally. Also going back and trying again to improve your % is pointless.
Cithaeria
Cithaeria • Jul 19, 2018
I would rather read as many lines explaining how these personality traits apply to the individual.
Reliance on compatibility with these tests are superficial. If you met a person face to face and both people listed their results, it would take less than a minute. It does take up a good bit of space in a profile. I would liken it to “empty calories “.
J'Oh
J'Oh • Jul 19, 2018

Last edited by * on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total
J'Oh
J'Oh • Jul 19, 2018
I thought it was a good test! When you start your journey, looking to "find where you fit in" it at least gives you an idea of which way to go.
Ill admit I took the test the first day I decided to look up bsdm, with a lot of 100% and a few 0% as well
But then I took it again, after doing more soul searching and reading & got a completely different result.
I just figured I had become more intune with myself. Whoops ?

I cant say Ive seen seen many profiles with their results posted anyway.
FlipSide1481​(dom male)
FlipSide1481​(dom male) • Jul 19, 2018
The BDSM test seems thin to me though a good starting point. I miss checklists. REALLY big checklists. The kind of checklists where spending one minute on each thing took two hours and you never felt like you talked about everything.
Taramafor​(sub male)
Taramafor​(sub male) • Jul 19, 2018
Good for a "general idea" but when it goes "1% vanilla" I'm like "I'm lifestyle and mix a lot of kink into normal things".

Picture lying across someones lap naked as you tease each other in a slightly sadistic yet flirty sense while watching a movie together. The test doesn't even begin to cover something like that.
sweet november​(sub female)
5 years ago • Jul 24, 2018
I think that the test can depend on what mood you are in that day, who you are in a D/s relationship with, if you are in one or not, how much you have grown as a person, if you take it in a hurry or not, etc.

I would suggest taking it again 3 months after initial one, take your time, make sure you are in amnot the same (hopefully good mood) and use it as a very basic baseline only.

I also don't see how someone can be 100% of anything.