Online now
Online now

Photo/Video Collectors, Money/Click Scammers, & Other Trolls

Villanelle​(staff)
6 years ago • Oct 3, 2017

Photo/Video Collectors, Money/Click Scammers, & Other Tr

Villanelle​(staff) • Oct 3, 2017
Time for another reminder about some of the scams happening online, and occasionally (and unfortunately) also on The Cage. Just a heads up about some behaviour that should be of concern....

Photo/video collectors: individuals who use the premise of D/s to get you to send photos and videos and/or appear on skype for their entertainment. Just remember, once your stuff is out there, it's out there. Be careful who you send photos to and who you webcam with. You may find your photos sold or held with threats of blackmail. Regardless of the D/s dynamic, I would always recommend like for like: you cam, they cam. You send a photo, they send a photo. And of course, keep in mind lots of things can be faked. Go slow, use common sense, and don't excuse bad or suspicious behaviour just because someone calls his or herself a dominant.

Money/Click Scammers: these types are often very slick and seem completely sincere at first and coincidentally, exactly what you've been looking for! But before you know it they are asking for gift cards, cash, sending wishlists or asking you to click this link or that. These types masquerade as BDSM enthusiasts in order to make some quick cash. There's nothing D/s about it. Financial domination IS a legitimate kink for some, but it happens within an established and sincere D/s relationship, not with someone you have just met online and spoken to a couple of times.

Reality check: remove D/s from the equation and ask yourself, would you respond in the same way if this person was just a platonic friend? If the answer is no, then red flag.

Cage Monkey and I are working hard to build systems to keep scammers out as we recognize how quickly they can negatively impact the user experience. But we also need your help. If you experience any of these types of scams REPORT REPORT REPORT to me. Use the 'report' button on every profile or just drop me an email (instant messages in BOND sometimes get missed/lost). Let's share our experiences, use common sense and work to keep The Cage a fun and safe place to be.
    The most loved post in topic
Bunnie
6 years ago • Oct 3, 2017
Bunnie • Oct 3, 2017
Thank you for sharing this information and creating awareness around these things.
Villanelle​(staff)
6 years ago • Oct 4, 2017
Villanelle​(staff) • Oct 4, 2017
Thanks Bunnie! Giving this a bump to make sure everyone sees it icon_smile.gif
Sage
6 years ago • Oct 5, 2017

Danger High Risk.

Sage • Oct 5, 2017
Hi Evangeline, and thanks for starting this Forum.
I have only come online recently. I made the mistake of starting with other, 'paid for'', sites and was soon reminded that nothing read online must be taken at face value. Scammers are the norm, clever, predatory, evil, and very convincing.
Most worrying is that here I just came across (if true) a lady who clearly has serious mental ill health (self-confessed). She needs Professional therapy, but instead, she has embarked on a live relationship, as a sub, which sounds quickly 'in at the deep end'.

No Profile, avoidance of simple questions to try to establish the truth, and enticing images, seem to be early danger signs, but we have a natural tendency to believe what we want to hear.

I hope that experienced members will share their experiences.

Sage
Villanelle​(staff)
6 years ago • Oct 5, 2017
Villanelle​(staff) • Oct 5, 2017
Sage, I think you're right - we need to keep talking about it and sharing our experiences. Keep talking everyone..and remember you don't have to tolerate scammers here. Report report report!
Reserved​(other male)
5 years ago • May 16, 2018
Reserved​(other male) • May 16, 2018
I think in light of recent activities on this site that this topic being resurrected might be a good thing. Perhaps pinned for newbie section?
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}

Re: Photo/Video Collectors, Money/Click Scammers, & Othe

Evangeline wrote:

Money/Click Scammers: these types are often very slick and seem completely sincere at first and coincidentally, exactly what you've been looking for! But before you know it they are asking for gift cards, cash, sending wishlists or asking you to click this link or that. These types masquerade as BDSM enthusiasts in order to make some quick cash. There's nothing D/s about it. Financial domination IS a legitimate kink for some, but it happens within an established and sincere D/s relationship, not with someone you have just met online and spoken to a couple of times.

One of the most current one in the Femdom Community is toy purchase.
Since the changes to US law regarding SESTA and FOSTA, those out to make money have had to make changes to get past site changes everywhere. Currently a lot of Adult sites have banned any form of Fin or Pro from its ranks to avoid the site being legally liable...any way I digress, you get the idea they are getting very sneaky. What is happening so called "Dommes" are meeting male subs looking for online in chat and forums all over the net. I cannot say this happening here. I can only speak for what i have seen else where.

Striking up conversations. Newbies are the target market and an easy mark! They tell the nearly always male submissive they could play with them but toys are needed. They even tell the guy, its not a scam. You get the product. They convince him to buy toys and supply links to toys that would "make their time together better" Several I've just dealt with even offered up several links from different online stores, supporting and giving the appearance that it isn't a scam as often the prices vary and she will suggest the cheaper one. Once the toy is purchased, they vanish. Leaving the sub with the toy (in the mail) and none the wiser but somewhat jaded if "Dommes" are real. The "Domme" then receives commission. Over zealous subs I've ran into have often spent up to 800 Dollars after knowing these "women" in a text based chats for less than a day. As talk heats up and escalates so does his purchasing. Speaking to several webmasters of these chatroom, often the "women" are scamming up to a dozen at a time. they are not acting finDommes like, so avoid site rules and often go un detected (hence the need to report, report, report). Often cutting and pasting the same lines of text (almost Bot styled) to several at once! Considering affiliate commissions pay 10-40% on purchases, it can be very lucrative in the right hands. Unfortunately the men involved are still left with their hands (yes pun intended) and no "Domme"
Villanelle​(staff)
Villanelle​(staff) • May 16, 2018
Thanks for resurrecting the topic - I agree it's time for a reminder! Please report any findom, scammers, or those offering play for pay. It's all against our rules here at The Cage.