Online now
Online now

meaningless tasks

intenseoldman​(dom male)
1 month ago • Jul 30, 2024

meaningless tasks

intenseoldman​(dom male) • Jul 30, 2024
Assigned a task today. It was meaningful, but I was wondering what if it wasn't? What if it were something like counting all the change in a jar or stacking rocks? Does a sub need meaningless tasks to stay subby? There is something beautiful about someone who'll do anything to please you. It touches me. It touches me so much, I just wouldn't assign meaningless tasks. Doms, why would, or why wouldn't you assign them? Subs why, or why wouldn't you want to do them?
Sincorrigible​(sub female)
Sincorrigible​(sub female) • Jul 30, 2024
Any task can be given meaning to a submissive, if it means something to the dominant in question.

Just as a meaningful task can be rendered meaningless by a dominant, from a submissive's perspective.

A side note: to all dominants who think it's clever to link anything to the recitation of times tables, please ensure you yourself are clear on them. You end up looking a bit of a twat otherwise. 😉
Steellover​(sub male)
Steellover​(sub male) • Jul 30, 2024
If a dominant assigns a sub task like, say, "alphabetize the guitar strings," or "Sort the potato chips according to size" then it's either a way of saying "You're bothering me; go find something meaningful to do so you're out of my hair for a little while" or it's something that, for some obscure reason, is important to the dominant.

Otherwise, yeah, it is neither erotic, useful, or really has any point.
TopekaDom​(dom male)
TopekaDom​(dom male) • Jul 30, 2024
The question is whether it is really meaningless, or does it appear to be.

Is it paint the fence or learning to block?
lambsone
lambsone • Jul 30, 2024
It would help if the sub knows why she is performing a task so she can participate as a team member. I often think of the reason while I'm doing the task and on the type of person who gave it to me. It makes it meaningful for me then.

My former Dom would put me in a corner. But he was very careful to let me know that it wasn't for punishment but to help me focus on him. I chose to pray for different aspects of his person, needs, etc. while in the corner. I figured that would benefit him more than just my thinking of him. Thus killing 2 birds with one stone and satisfying my earthly master and my Heavenly Master simultaneously.

And I need the Dom to discuss the task with me afterward and ask for my thoughts so that there is closure to what I have done for him. I need to know if he is pleased and to have an opportunity to share what might have happened during the task.
intenseoldman​(dom male)
Sincorrigible wrote:
Any task can be given meaning to a submissive, if it means something to the dominant in question.

Just as a meaningful task can be rendered meaningless by a dominant, from a submissive's perspective.

A side note: to all dominants who think it's clever to link anything to the recitation of times tables, please ensure you yourself are clear on them. You end up looking a bit of a twat otherwise. 😉

Interesting, everyone who doesn't know their times tables these days.

So you're saying any task can be rendered meaningless or meaningful. icon_wink.gif How does a Dom make a meaningful task meaningless?
intenseoldman​(dom male)
TopekaDom wrote:
The question is whether it is really meaningless, or does it appear to be.

Is it paint the fence or learning to block?

For some reason this brings to mind the Karate Kid... "wax on, wax off" all seemingly meaningless tasks that turned out to be foundational martial arts skills... hmmm... and she can call me Sensei icon_biggrin.gif
TopekaDom​(dom male)
1 month ago • Jul 31, 2024
TopekaDom​(dom male) • Jul 31, 2024
intenseoldman wrote:
For some reason this brings to mind the Karate Kid...

That was the idea.

Martial Arts (real time and not always cinematic) often hides the real meaning of tasks given to students. The problem is most people are too results oriented to see what lies beneath the still waters.

To answer your original post: The Dom/me is the one who decides whether a task it meaningless or not. Do you have an ulterior motive or are you just assigning work to keep them out of your hair.
Sincorrigible​(sub female)
Sincorrigible​(sub female) • Jul 31, 2024
intenseoldman wrote:

So you're saying any task can be rendered meaningless or meaningful. icon_wink.gif How does a Dom make a meaningful task meaningless?

By not acknowledging it. This could be in any manner of ways. But if a dominant is not mindful, and doesn't understand the psychology of the game they are playing, then it will become meaningless sooner or later.
intenseoldman​(dom male)
intenseoldman​(dom male) • Jul 31, 2024
TopekaDom wrote:
intenseoldman wrote:
For some reason this brings to mind the Karate Kid...

Do you have an ulterior motive or are you just assigning work to keep them out of your hair.

Well this is barely in its infancy, so everything has an an ulterior motive... she hardly has any time to be in my hair at all, so... yeah, not trying to keep her out of it.
Just trying to give her a measure of dominance that she can handle in the midst of a busy and somewhat trying time. Some itty bitty but meaningful tasks that tap into her submissiveness, but can fit in the flow of her very full life.