Online now
Online now

Humiliation and degradation.

Justme26
4 years ago • Feb 7, 2020

Humiliation and degradation.

Justme26 • Feb 7, 2020
Anyone know? What is the difference between humiliation and degradation? I think there must be a difference but I can not think what it is.
Dunimos​(dom male)
Dunimos​(dom male) • Feb 7, 2020
For me humiliation is something that causes embarrassment... degradation can be similar but think demeaning, or treating one extremely poorly.

Example...
Humiliation by forcing one to do something in public that might cause people to laugh or snear

Degradation by putting your target down with insults and name calling. If done in public then both can be achieved.

Make sense?
Erick​(sub male)
Erick​(sub male) • Feb 7, 2020
I think humiliation is somewhere between indignity and ignominy, while degradation is somewhere between mortification and abasement, with a little shame thrown in for good measure. But that's just me.
FireflyandMasterJD
FireflyandMasterJD • Feb 7, 2020
Just my take on it....they are both different and part of a whole wheel of undoing....

Humiliation....feels much more surface , easy to 'get over', it's more surface in its capacity to effect your psyche. Eg being told to go out dressed a certain way that is embarrassing to you...or taking off ones knickers and walking through a restaurants...short term embarrassment..

Degredation on the other hand goes deep into the Psyche and can produce profound inner changes if done wisely. It's like you become 'nothing' ,go into pure Existence and Being without mental limitations...an example of this would be to be objectified like becoming a piece of furniture for example...brought down to just an 'object'...non human...I have experienced peace beyond my imaginings during degredation play...it's a much more spiritually uplifting experience ...
    The most loved post in topic
AKittenforSir​(sub female){JohnBond}
They can overlap at times but you can feel degraded without feeling humiliated/embarrassed and you can feel humiliated without feeling degraded.

I enjoy being degraded at times; being called Sir’s slut and play thing, being told to sit on the floor while he sits on the couch, being made to stay naked all day at home while he wears comfy clothes, being treated like a pet rather than a person.

But I very rarely enjoy being humiliated; being mocked, being forced to do overtly sexual things in public, Sir making me admit things out loud that he knows embarrasses me, Sir telling other people embarrassing things about me, etc.
Bunnie
4 years ago • Feb 8, 2020
Bunnie • Feb 8, 2020
For me, humiliation is more about embarrassment (“a feeling of self-consciousness, shame, or awkwardness”).

Whereas degradation is more about humility (“the quality of having a modest or low view of one's importance”).
Justme26
Justme26 • Feb 8, 2020
It is a terrible thing to confess but I started out as one of those people who see BDSM as an easy way to get laid. Infect it is a deep and complex world of emotions and interactions. I am always amazed at what I learn from people on this site. Thanks all.

However I think you will agree that both people - the degradee / humileatee and the degrader / humileater - need to be ready and to. . . Maybe genuinely care about the other person. Otherwise it could go horribly wrong.
Erick​(sub male)
Erick​(sub male) • Feb 8, 2020
@Justme

It is proverbial--and besides that, in my own experience it's also true--that BDSM people tend to be less apt to genuinely hurt their partners than are their "vanilla" counterparts. Presumably because the BDSM people are more thoughtful about these kinds of issues and more aware of what they are doing. The poor schmucks you read about in the news every day who wind up punching and stabbing and shooting their lovers or their spouses are almost always the "well adjusted" people who pride themselves on not bringing any "weird" emotions into their sex life.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Feb 8, 2020
@ Justme26,

“However I think you will agree that both people - the degradee / humileatee and the degrader / humileater - need to be ready and to. . . Maybe genuinely care about the other person. Otherwise it could go horribly wrong.”

Absolutely. I think it’s essential to have that foundation of solidarity, trust, and honest communication very well established before even considering delving into things that can more than likely be quite “triggery” for a lot of people.
FlipSide1481​(dom male)
FlipSide1481​(dom male) • Feb 8, 2020
I think this type of play is often taken far to lightly. Humilition and Degradation play in my experience (no matter how well negotiated) will almost always hit a trigger. Be prepared for it.

For me humiliation play is making the submissive anxious, nervous, keyed up, about the public perception/outward image (real or not) about what they are doing.

Degradation play is about reducing or diminishing the submissives self image for the scene.