Online now
Online now

Should people be discussing politics on a BDSM site?

Lovingly Strict​(dom female)
2 years ago • Jun 6, 2021

Should people be discussing politics on a BDSM site?

I know everyone has freedom of speech. But is it honstly a good idea to be discussing politics on a BDSM dating site?
Facebook and Twitter is already filled with political topics so why bring them into a site like this one?
Its almost as stupid as bringing up politics at family events.
Just my opinion but I can see it destroying a wonderful site like this. Everyone starts arguing, spiting hatred at each other.
TheDankLord​(switch male)
TheDankLord​(switch male) • Jun 6, 2021
I agree with avoiding political topics on this site. As someone who studied political science in college and whos current career involves a lot of politics/current events related stuff, I normally enjoy political discussion. However, in this past year especially, I feel politics has become too divisive a topic and I find myself talking about it a lot less, especially with people I don't know well or who don't have the same party alignment as myself. Our country has become more divided and political ideologies have become far more radical and entrenched. I have lost friends in real life simply for stating that I disagree with some sort of extreme ideological stance, and people increasingly see others as enemies rather than fellow Americans and fellow humans with honest disagreements.

There is escalating hyper-partisanship, increasing racial hatred, and third world tier electoral politics. People don't want to discuss ideas anymore. They shut down speech they disagree with while advocating for violence they agree with. I bring all of this up to say, that BDSM sites such as this one are a place where I can take a break from this stuff. Regardless of our political views, I think our interest in BDSM is something that can bring all of us on this site TOGETHER, and I think we need that more than ever. Discussing divisive politics at this time does more harm than good. Our politics in this country and in many other countries is getting scary.

These political issues are, of course, important. I do think there is a time and a place to discuss them. But in the context of this last year I think it causes more anger than anything else on these online platforms. I am happy to have a discussion about politics with people privately or on a platform designed for that because I think this issues are very important and I have some strong opinions. But on this site I'd rather avoid stirring the pot and further exacerbating an already volatile political environment. Most people are not willing to be persuaded by arguments. We live in a post truth era and online arguments often serve only to entrench anger and frustration.
House Talion​(dom male)
House Talion​(dom male) • Jun 6, 2021
If such a thing were popular there would be a separate forum group for it, but as there isn't then clearly its not. The best you'd find is someone's fantasy of what they'd like to do to their least favorite president, but there's many torture devices I don't know about
gabriel kerry​(dom male)
gabriel kerry​(dom male) • Jun 6, 2021
I don't believe this is the place for those discussions. I personally stopped politicing March of 2020. I also believe if you cannot answer questions from another point of view than you are someone not looking for a discussion. How else would someone come to thier point of view?
As the Darklord above pointed out, people don't want a discussion anymore.
anlina​(masochist female)
anlina​(masochist female) • Jun 6, 2021
If it's the context of sharing life experiences and the rules in the domain are followed, I don't see a reason why not. Conversions happen to be quite subtle, even if it does seem like it.
Sir'smisty​(sub female)
Sir'smisty​(sub female) • Jun 6, 2021
This assumes all users are from the US and would have in interest in American politics.
Which isn't so, and I can assure you, we don't.

Perhaps a seperate part in the forum can be devoted to those wanting to discuss it, but the media is filled with US politics if one is interested and I'm really, really tired of it. I don't want to read more of it on a BDSM site.
LoyalWolf​(sub male)
LoyalWolf​(sub male) • Jun 6, 2021
I would really prefer not to discuss politics on here. There are plenty of other places where we can go to argue our political views. There is no need to bring it to a BDSM site. I prefer to judge if someone is a good or bad person based on what they say and do, not what politician they support this year.

I disagree with the idea of creating a politics discussion forum on here. Just because we have discussion boards / forums does not mean that they have to cater to every topic under the sun.
Villanelle​(staff)
Villanelle​(staff) • Jun 6, 2021
"Please keep in mind we are a community focused on BDSM, kink, and sexual freedom. We consider political essays, opinion pieces, etc., to be "off topic" unless they relate to the above."

https://thecage.co/blog/userblog.php?blog_id=4&postid=40000
    The most loved post in topic