Online now
Online now

Kink education

bdsamworld
1 month ago • Mar 18, 2024

Kink education

bdsamworld • Mar 18, 2024
I know in the professional world its good to attend professional development classes or obtain new certificates. But what about in your kink life? Do you enjoy attending kinky classes? Whether it be something new or maybe a refresher on something old? And is it a requirement in your dynamic? Or for those that aren't in a dynamic do you still attend classes as a way to stay connected to the community?

I find that somethings in the world of kink are evolving so quickly, while other parts are still as they were 20+ years.
Literate Lycan​(dom male)
Literate Lycan​(dom male) • Mar 18, 2024
As I have learned in such a short life, (especially) the Master continues to practice the skill. (Which means those of us who no matter who we may think we are definitely need to learn and practice more).

I've sought out (mostly via YouTube or podcasts) to better understand various kinks, especially areas that aren't really my stick or line of thinking. There are instructor led classes in many of the larger urban areas for in person development. Plus, I have a core group of outstanding gentlemen that I call/communicate with regularly to further discuss our ideas and ideology to better understand what and who we are.
    The most loved post in topic
shebakesalot​(sub female)
shebakesalot​(sub female) • Mar 18, 2024
I attend classes at one dungeon I frequent. I've done a wax play and intro to rope class so far. But there are various classes around my area that I try to make it to. Also seek out kink educators (Ms Elle X, Evie Lupine) or YouTube series or podcasts to learn about things. Reading A LOT. And though I'm a submissive, I've been learning from both sides to better understand dynamics. Finally, been to a few munches, some kink-specific, some not. And one specific to submissives, so like Lycan, I have a group I talk to regularly about our experiences, etc.
Miki
Miki • Mar 18, 2024
I don't know.

I do not think I'd go for that.

Even if I were active in this shit, I refuse to think that there is any "official gospel of kink" which some twisted guru in front of a classroom or on a computer screen gets to instruct others.

My activity in kink / BDSM came naturally. Learn by doing. Learn by communicating, (best I can) and every dom / master has different tastes and likes. For me it's all about adaptability.

I'll leave the "professional development courses" for my career.
shebakesalot​(sub female)
shebakesalot​(sub female) • Mar 18, 2024
Realized I didn't answer the question re: the dynamic bit. I'd prefer that my partner and I attend classes or at least learn things together. For me, it's mostly from a safety viewpoint. Since I'm solo, yes, it's an aspect of connecting with the community. But I also just like learning haha
Miki
Miki • Mar 18, 2024
shebakesalot wrote:
Realized I didn't answer the question re: the dynamic bit. I'd prefer that my partner and I attend classes or at least learn things together. For me, it's mostly from a safety viewpoint. Since I'm solo, yes, it's an aspect of connecting with the community. But I also just like learning haha

Nothing wrong with that at all. As usual I just put in my 2 cents. I did forget my usual remark "But That's Just Me"
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
I used to attend classes and events more often, even taught a few ..till about covid times. Being Melbourne Australia we got locked down for extended periods (apparently the longest cumulative days in the world?!?) during that time I realized I didn't miss them as I still socialized with old friends online and meet ups for social things.

It then also dawned on me, I've been doing what I do a long time since my early teens and even worked in the trade. I have a poly heart but at the moment it is just my primary of 26 years and an on liner of 18 years. With this revelation, came the realization, if I'm happy doing what I'm doing and feel confident and don't intend to use my "skill set" on "extra" partners...do I really need more skills sets if they don't overly rock their world or my own? I don't think so. I think its about finding what works for you and yours and getting that social support "if" you feel you need it or finding your "tribe"
House Talion​(dom male)
4 weeks ago • Mar 27, 2024
House Talion​(dom male) • Mar 27, 2024
When I started there were no classes, I learned everything from experience. Now there's too many classes and most are full of opinions.
TopekaDom​(dom male)
TopekaDom​(dom male) • Mar 27, 2024
Some things are not meant to evolve. Rigging and things like knife play have a very basic skills that if you were to change them will only invite disaster.

However, there are always new things to learn and new skills in an almost unlimited pile of ideas within the lifestyle to learn. It is always fun to discover new ideas within the lifestyle.

But just don't go changing things because you think it is old.
QuietIsNotShy​(dom male)
QuietIsNotShy​(dom male) • Mar 27, 2024
Much of what I know, I learned through previous relationships and watching videos and podcasts online. I've attended only a handful of classes since then, but I'm interested in going to more. I think it's a very good thing to continue to seek knowledge about your passions, especially if they involve other people. There might not be such a thing as a true master, but you never know where new knowledge might come from, even from someone younger and less experienced than you. That probably isn't likely, but it's not impossible, either. If possible, I'd bring my partner with me; I think the chance for us both to learn more about a particular skill or activity is very valuable because we can both see what is and isn't important to us, and we can establish trust and boundaries based on an experience for which we were both present.

The biggest inhibitor to me attending more lectures or classes is time. I have a regular job (and sometimes it attempts to intrude on my personal life, which I have so far successfully prevented), as well as quite a diverse array of hobbies. Some of those things take up more time than others, and there are only so many hours in a day or a week. C'est la vie.